RHINO is a respected independent national/international print poetry journal based in Evanston, Illinois. Now in our 40th year, RHINO editors look for the best in contemporary poetry, poetry in translation and flash-fiction. We welcome all styles, and value work that is well crafted, reflects passion, originality, engagement with contemporary culture, and a love affair with language.
RHINO is seeking one or two promising poets to serve as summer interns. In addition to a primary responsibility to assist with reading, commentary and discussion of submissions, interns will have the opportunity to observe and contribute to all aspects of the print journal’s operation.
- Read submissions and comment in writing about poems as part of the editorial team
- Attend fortnightly RHINO editorial meetings (usually on a Thursday evening) and participate in discussions of poems
- Assist with events
- Assist with social media marketing
- Other duties as assigned
- BA and at least one year of relevant graduate study
- A love of poetry and a desire to learn about journal operations
- Demonstrated ability to provide thoughtful commentary and informed analysis of contemporary poetry
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team-oriented environment
- General knowledge of contemporary poetry and its sources
- Broad curiosity and a non-ideological approach to reading and thinking about poems
- 15 hours a week. With the exception of fortnightly meetings and occasional events, interns will be able to schedule their time flexibly
Please mail the following to RHINO P.O. Box 591 Evanston, IL 60204, and mark the envelope “Internship”; or send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A letter of application stating qualifications
- A resume or CV
- 2 samples of analytic writing about poetry (3-5 pages)
- 3-5 poems
- 2 references, one of which is from a literature/poetry teacher with whom the applicant has studied
- A graduate school transcript listing coursework (photocopy accepted)
To find out more about RHINO, you may wish to begin here.
Deadline for application: April 30, 2016